- 1 How to choose best headphones
- 2 Best Headphones Under $200 Reviews
- 2.1 Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro Headphones (250 Ohm)
- 2.2 Sennheiser HD 598 Over-Ear Headphones – Ivory
- 2.3 Sony MDRXB950BT/B Extra Bass Bluetooth Headphones (Black)
- 2.4 Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphone
- 2.5 Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Professional Studio Monitor Headphones
- 2.6 Samsung Level On PRO Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones with Microphone and UHQ Audio, Black
- 2.7 V-MODA Crossfade LP2 Vocal Limited Edition Over-Ear Noise-Isolating Metal Headphone
- 2.8 Plantronics BackBeat PRO Wireless Noise Canceling Hi-Fi Headphones with Mic – Compatible with iPhone, iPad, Android, and Other Smart Devices
- 2.9 JBL Everest 700 Wireless Bluetooth Around-Ear Headphones
- 2.10 Sennheiser HD 558 Headphones
- 3 Conclusion
Are you looking to spend up to $200 for really good headphones? Obviously, you want the best. These days, you can find a pair of headphones for this price with unbelievable sound quality, though each one may have their singular differences like very good design or not very good quality. To enable you to make a good choice easily, we have found the market’s 10 best headphones under $200 with their features, and pros and cons.
How to choose best headphones
You might like to spend all your time listening to music on headphones whenever you’re at home or while travelling to college or work. If you want something better than iPod earbuds, buy a good pair of headphones. Here’re some guidelines to choose them well.
Large or small
You might want to buy a pair of headphones to relax with, and another to go out with. However, these days people stick to one pair no matter where they are. Large or small is a personal choice. They choose small ones when they want to take it around with them, being lightweight and practical. The large ones are chosen as “home studio style” earpieces which are corded and connected to a power source.
Check for sound quality
Often, headphones highlight different aspects of the audio spectrum, so you might choose one sound over any other. So, it pays to try them out before buying. When buying online, be very sure of the return policy of the company.
Choose a design that fits your use
Choosing over-the-ear models may be ideal for listening to music when at home, but wouldn’t be right for you when you travel. If you travel a lot, think about getting headphones with good noise-reduction technology. Also, check for comfort in the long- and short run. If you wear them over a protracted period, will they still feel comfortable? Check it out.
Want the best sound? Choose corded headphones
If you’re a music buff, choose a good corded model. Else, you’d do fine with a corded one or a wireless pair. Ensure that the pair you choose doesn’t give out hissing sounds or have dynamic range compression that numbs out the sound.
Test them out
Don’t get taken in by good salesmanship or the reputation of a brand of headphones. Test out all the models shown to you or that are on display before you make an informed decision.
Noise Cancelling feature
Headphones with this feature operate on noise cancelling technology, according to which sounds are eliminated to offer absolute peace to the listener. They help in drowning out normal droning sounds like factory machinery, the hum of an air conditioner and such like sounds with uniform frequency.
Being wireless means your headphones aren’t linked to cables and cords and you can comfortably use them without worrying about cable length or getting them entangled in wires. These headphones work on any one of the following transmission technologies–radio frequency, Bluetooth or infrared.
So, take your pick, depending on these parameters.
Best Headphones Under $200 Reviews
Here are the season’s 10 best headphones under $200. If you’re serious about buying the best over ear headphones under $200, check out the reviews below and choose the one that suits you and your purpose best.
The Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro headphones are one of the best in the market today. Its design is semi-open and it has circumaural velour pads around the ear. It has very good sound quality, which is evenly balanced by providing strong mids and a punchy bass and bubbly trebles. The item is a bit bright but audiophiles are united in agreeing that this is the very best going.
These headphones have a nominal impedance of 250 ohms and come with a cord that is attached to one of the cups. The DT880s give a light and nice fit with soft to the touch ear pads. These headphones are durable, rugged and comfortable due to the soft-padded headband. The ear cups are large enough to fit inside the ears comfortably. The headband and ear cushions are soft to have on the ears and adjustable so that you find the perfect fit.
It is good value for money as its construction is robust and all its parts are easily serviceable and replaceable.
- It is made of superior material and craftsmanship and is designed to offer durability and comfort.
- The sound is clear and well balanced.
- These headphones aren’t equipped with bass extension.
- The treble is slightly sibilant.
- It has a fixed cable.
These headphones have found favor with several customers. And why not? The design is very stylish and attractive, and its color is a head turner. These headphones are built to provide the ultimate comfort with materials used in the headband and ear cushions. They can easily be worn daylong.
The Sennheiser HD598 is a winner as far as providing clear and rich sound is concerned, whatever the music genre. You may be a lay listener of music or you may be a producer of it, using these headphones will certainly produce excellent music. The ear cups are open to allow all surrounding sound to generate an extremely natural sound. However, the flip side of this is that they might sometimes leak sound, so you will need to reduce the volume when you’re in public. For the price, these headphones are excellent and give great value for money.
- This brand of headphones are the best over ear headphones.
- They are extremely comfortable.
- These headphones are designed to provide the most natural and clear sound.
- They create a lot of noise leakage.
- Though it comes with a jack plug, users use a 3.5mm adapter often.
- The ergonomics of the headband is very poor.
- It has a high level of distortion.
These headphones are endowed with several superb features. For one, it is not being sold as noise cancelling headphones, but it cancels out surrounding sound excellently. They are advertised as Bluetooth headphones but are also sold with wires to plug into an audio jack.
Being wireless, you don’t get entangled in wires, and enjoy sleek comfort and good bass response. Connectivity through Bluetooth with NFC gives you music for 20 hours (that’s the battery life!!) anywhere you are. Electronic bass boost with 40mm drivers add zing to your melodies. Enjoy frequencies of up tp 20,000Hz when you stream audio wirelessly.
Comfortable ear cushions wrap around the ears and provide a wonderful listening experience. Being hands-free, you can connect these headphones to your phone and accept incoming calls. Continue to listen to music after your call is over. An inbuilt and rechargeable battery gives a maximum of 20 hours of continuous, music, played wirelessly.
- These headphones come with excellent sound quality.
- It does not require noise cancelling facility as they naturally cancel noise better than any other headphones marketed with noise canceling.
- You can also use them as a headset for phone calls.
- Each battery charge gives 10 hours of life.
- These are not noise-canceling headphones as they block out all sound to the extent that you can’t hear anything.
- They get warm if used in a place without climate control.
- They do not fold fully.
The HD 380 Pro headphone is engineered to go beyond the demands of professionals seeking high quality headphones. These headphones provide extended frequency response with enhanced sound pressure level of a maximum of 110 dB for exact and accurate reproduction of sound in complex applications. On the other hand, it is secure and rugged and lightweight too, offering the maximum comfortable music and voice listening experience for long recording sessions. The design of these headphones is closed circumaural which soothes the ambient noise upto 32dB. The sound is so well-defined and crisp that listening to music on this pair of headphones is a great experience. It also provides noise isolation to a great extent and allows the user to listen in places where the ambient noise is high. Being lightweight, it is comfortable for extended listening. It is compatible with the latest models of tablets and comes with a two-year warranty.
- These headphones are lightweight.
- They give better clarity on instruments of high frequency.
- The storage case is handy for travel.
- These headphones come with good sound stage.
- The bass is not as resonant as the 280s.
- They aren’t as robust as their competitors.
- If used at home or when carried around, they work only with a replacement cable.
The most lauded model in the M-series line of headphones by audio engineers, this headphone falls in the category of professional monitor headphones. It comes with an extra feature of removable cables. It has large aperture drivers, earcups that isolate sound and an overall robust build, and it is superb and just right for audio professionals.
It is sturdily built, and comes with a thick cord that plugs into a heavy-duty reinforced plug. The thickly padded earcups rotate on two axes, while the headphones fold flat and store well. They do not have active noise cancellation like other headphones do, but they seal out sound from the surroundings extremely efficiently. You might not get the same level of noise reduction as other headphones offer but they are good for those who are sensitive to even the slightest noise.
In terms of sound, these headphones are perfect in tonal balance.
- Their build quality is unparalleled.
- There’s a lot of attention to detail in their construction.
- Sound is balanced with tight bass.
- They are comfortable and have more cushioning along with a removable cord design.
- These headphones lack integrated microphone to make calls on mobile phones.
- Their bulky design does not lend them to mobile use.
These headphones from Samsung uses Ultra High Quality Audio (UHQA) technology and provides the ultimate in digital audio experience with a maximum of twice the width of frequency range than standard wireless sound of CD quality. Add to this Samsung’s Active Noise Cancellation and users can experience a concert hall musical experience.
When these headphones are attached to the Samsung Level app and Samsung Bluetooth, you can get extra features like SoundAlive, Volume Monitor and Text-To-Speech. This gives you 25 sound effects, such as pop, rock, jazz and you can match your music to your moods and tastes.
There are touch controls here to keep the music and phone buttons easy to use. You can also switch on or off the ambient noise. These headphones are ideal for times when outside sound is necessary.
The design of this headphone is robust and it is made of very good material and finish. It has a foldable frame, making it easy to carry and store.
These headphones pride themselves for their solid military style construction and clear sound. It has a 500 mm dual diaphragm drivers. It is built to a striking design and if you find the matte black metal shields looking too dull for you, you can exchange it for more vivid coloured shields in the box.
These headphones are rather heavy due to the 50 mm drivers. It is ideal for long listening sessions where you don’t experience any of the commonly experienced irritation from wearing over-ear headphones. The sound is the main feature of this headphone; the connectivity options, however, are limited. There are two cables in this pack–one for audiophiles and another for music freaks which comes with a remote and a microphone.
Overall, the V-Moda Crossfade LP2s are sturdily built and comfortable. For its total look and construction, it’s value for money.
- It gives out a pleasing sound.
- It is very comfortable.
- It’s very expensive for some.
- Some people might consider the bass to be lacking.
This headphone is of the noise-cancelling variety, so you can block out all background sounds while you relax, work or travel. It achieves this using on-demand noise cancelling technology. You can also multi-task while using these headphones. So, while you listen to a movie on your tablet, you can stop to take a call too on your Smartphone. These headphones are compatible with all smart devices such as Android, iPhone and iPad.
It delivers rich and natural audio with rich bass, crisp sound and natural mid-tones. The Plantronics Backbeat PRO can provide battery life not exceeding 24 hours of music listening while also providing a range of Bluetooth services of 330 feet.
These headphones are fitted with soft earcups that are perfect while travelling. They help to isolate background noise. Music freaks can immerse themselves in listening to music on these headphones as the audio quality is so exceptionally high.
- The Plantronics BackBeat Pro is feature-rich with both noise-cancelling and wireless Bluetooth.
- It has a sturdy construction and a comfortable design.
- The headphones give a good resonant sound and have a very good battery life.
- It is heavy at 3.6 kg.
- Bass and treble may be a little too much for some users.
These headphones come in two colours–black and gray. With these headphones, you can connect to any Bluetooth-enabled device and get the astounding sound quality the JBL Everest 700 is known for–and all without getting your headphones entangled in needlessly long wires.
You can get the kind of sound quality that you would hear in a concert hall, right there in your ears. These headphones are ergonomically designed to fit snugly within the natural contours of your ears. These best in class ergonomics give unbridled comfort so that you can keep on and on listening to music for as long as you want and be totally comfortable.
With ShareMe 2.0, you can link up your friend’s Bluetooth headphones with yours and share the music you love, or even the games and videos you enjoy–and all this wirelessly. It also has an integrated microphone which works beautifully with echo cancellation technology.
- The headset has a very smart appearance.
- The Bluetooth connection is highly stable and extends over a long range.
- These headphones can be used either wired or wirelessly.
- If you wear these headphones on your head, you will press power off.
- The Power button isn’t placed correctly.
These headphones are of audiophile-grade and they are open-backed. It has an interesting twist and lock one-sided cable that gets rid of any entangling and makes exchanges very easy. This set of headphones has a gold-plated plug measuring about 1/4″ with a 1/8″ adapter. It uses Eargonomic Acoustic Refinement (E.A.R.) technology to provide excellent sonic accuracy and the ultimate clarity. With state of the art Duofol diaphragms, sound of the least distortion reaches your ears directly. An Internal Sound Reflector provides the listener with rich audio. They are extremely comfortable and you can easily wear them with your glasses on.
The open design of these headphones, their Velour headband and ear pads and their lightweight construction contribute to be a well-balanced fusion of style, comfort and engineering. No wonder they look superb and stylish on anyone’s head. These headphones offer their users so much that it’s surprising that they cost very less.
- It has forward and very engaging mids.
- Overall, it is euphonic and very comfortable.
- It doesn’t tire out the wearer.
- It lacks deep bass extension.
- Its clamp is hard and its adapter design is about 1/4″-1/8″.
We hope that you are able to find the best headphones under $200 from the 10 headphone makes discussed here. However, it would also help you immensely to read some customer reviews before taking that final decision.